whats the best sound module for incoporatin midi files into live music performances?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by timcable, Aug 28, 2004.

1. timcable

timcable New Member

our band is thinking of playing midi files through a sequencer and then on to a sound module. problem is - all this is new to be and i need help picking out a decent sounding tone generator/sound module. hopefully for a few hundred bucks or less. the only experience i have is hearing a midi file over my computers cheap sound card. most songs sound like a toy, but some sound okay. i don;t understand how some could sound good and others sound like crap, through the same sound card. i hope a real sound module would give me good quality sounds. i was looking at a used yamaha qy700 but the price seemed a little high(near $500). some also said to use seperate sound modules for drums etc - but then others say it does not matter, play all instruments through one module if you get a module with multi-timbre / 64 polyphony. i am not sure that i want to go the laptop route for a sequencer, i'll probably get a stand alone sequencer at this time, but that shound not matter about which sound module i use. would anyone please hELP!!! i will tele you if i could. thanks, tim
  2. musikman1

musikman1 New Member

Best Module?

I'm not sure there is ONE best module. I use 7 modules to play my files (I do full orch, big band, theatre stuff).

It depends a lot on what you're doing. There's one answer if you need piano, another if you need guitars, another if you need saxes, another if you're looking for strings..

AND everyone will have their faves, it really depends on what sounds good to YOU.

Give me an idea of what sort of music you're doing, and what instruments you need, and I'll make a guess. :)
  3. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Older sound modules are quite cheap to pick up. I still use the Roland JV880 for piano and string sounds, and an EMU Classic keys for the Hammond organ. This also has the classic Oberheimer Matrix sound for Van Halen jump and some Moog and Beatles Mellotron sounds. Drums are not bad on the Roland but with 28 note polyphony it is limited. There are updated models which will have more. A dedicated drum module would probably help. Hope you have a big enough mixing desk and effects units for live work!