where to buy midi

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by jetpilot, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jetpilot

jetpilot New Member

how much is the price for each midi? where is there the largest selection and best quality? thanks
  2. argentinito

argentinito New Member

Avril Lavigne - Anything But Ordinary
    avril.mid
  3. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Don't want to seem like an advertiser for Hit Trax but I've bought from them and they are great quality. Do a search in g**gle or something for professional files but I like Hit Trax, only one to have a loyalty bonus scheme which is good!!

P.S. ***TRASHPOST*** times 2!!
  4. cute_mickey

cute_mickey New Member

i think it's $3- $9 each
  5. smokeyuk

smokeyuk New Member

hit trax are good thou
  6. Ayiden

Ayiden New Member

free midis!

i would never pay for a midi, thats insane!
  7. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Re: free midis!

I use them to make a living playing in bars. I've no problems paying but if I was only using them on my own pc, there's not a mission I would pay for them!!
  8. rhyde

rhyde New Member

Re: free midis!

Guess it depends how you intend to use them, what your "ethics" level is, and what quality you're interested it.

Over the past couple of years I've collected somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 MIDI files of varying quality (and thrown away about three times that many, whose quality was too low to consider). Most of these I've gotten free from the Internet. A couple of really great MIDI files I've found I wound up deleting because it was pretty obvious that they were pirated from a commercial concern. If I really need such a file (e.g., for a live performance or a small recording run), I don't have a problem paying $10 for the file. A good case in point is Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". I've been wanting to do a parody of this tune for some Baptist friends ("Baptists Don't Feel Like Dancing"). However, for parodies to work well, the music needs to be as similar as possible to the original tune. None of the "free" MIDI files I've found for this tune are close enough, IMHO. OTOH, Hit Trax' demo of the song suggests that it is "right on". For a project like this, where $10 is nothing compared to the time and effort needed to do the actual parody, buying a MIDI isn't a problem.

There is also the issue of copyright. Though the copyright law (at least in the U.S.) has been prostituted far beyond its original intent, it *is* the law. Remember, the whole point of the copyright law is to encourage people to release their works for public consumption. People who flaunt this law are simply encouraging content creators to keep their work to themselves.

MIDI files on the internet are *such* a gray area because it is difficult to tell whether someone has released a sequence for mass consumption or whether you've got some file that has been pirated.
    Cheers,
    Randy Hyde