Where to find MIDI files with right & left hand lesson tracks?

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by UGATraci, Jan 22, 2003.

1. UGATraci

UGATraci New Member

I've done some searching on the board and could not find what I was looking for so I figured I would toss the question out there.

I am using a Yamaha PSR-290, which comes already loaded with about 100 songs which have the "lesson" feature on them. You can practice the left and right hand parts seperate from each other.

I think these are called XG Midi files, but I am not sure.

What I am wondering is this: where can I find some more of these kinds of files with the "lesson" option? I'd really like to use this feature to learn how to play some current songs, but I can't find them anywhere.

Is there a way to sequence MIDI files so that you can separate the left and right hand tracks for the "lesson" purpose?

The user's manual of my PSR-290 (on page 76 - Function Section) has a section called "Lesson." It states that by pressing the "Function" button and selecting either "Lesson Track (R)" or "Lesson Track (L)," you can: "determine the track number for your right [or left, respectively] hand lesson."

I am wondering what "track number" means. You have the option of selecting a number from 1-16 to set the "track number." I am assuming that this does not work for most MIDI files sequenced by amateurs.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Specific questions:

1. What is the difference between XG MIDI files and regular ones?

2. Where can I find these XG "lesson" style MIDI files?

3. Is there a way to somehow convert an amateur-sequenced MIDI file I downloaded off of this forum into a format that will allow me to use this "lesson" feature (seperate right and left hand parts)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I know Newbies are annoying sometimes. I did my best to find this info on my own, but now (4 hours later) I am exhausted of scouring the web and this board. I tried to be as detailed as possible with my question, so as to avoid any confusion.

I appreciate any help you can give.
  2. UGATraci

UGATraci New Member

Just from playing with it a bit I think I have figured a little bit more out. It seems to me that these MIDI files which are sequenced even by amateurs can somehow be broken down into parts.

The trick now is to figure out how I decide which track to use for each hand. I guess it's just experimentation...