Which Version of Linux?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by nectuss, Feb 10, 2004.

1. nectuss

nectuss New Member

Which version of linux do you suggest? And which do you use?
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

It depends on what you want to use it for...
    I've used RedHat and Mandrake a lot for various server setups, and they both work very nicely... RedHat seems to be the dominant choice for servers, but I personally prefer Mandrake without X for most server stuff. For desktop use, they are, again, about the same, and both are newbie-friendly.

I've played a little with Suse and Slackware. Suse is a nice package (with tons of included software), but you have to buy it (unless you have a high-speed connection, whereas you can download and burn a small install CD that will download and install Suse from an FTP server)
    If you're looking for the most Unix-like Distro, go with Slackware (not exactly newbie-friendly).

If you ask 20 different people, you're likely to get several different answers. It depends on personal preferences, your machine configuration and your comfort/experience level with Linux in general. I would recommend trying several out - most distro CD images (.iso) are available for download from http://linuxiso.org
  3. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

For personal workstation use I would recommend RedHat Workstation Professional.