Who here uses sequencing w/their live band?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by non_prophet, Nov 2, 2003.

1. non_prophet

non_prophet Guest

Just curious what your setup and setlist is. I'm new to this so any feedback is appreciated. I plan on using sonar with a combo of midi and actual recorded parts (background vox, second guitar part, etc.) and then burning to minidisc. My band consists drums, guitar, bass and keyboard doing all covers. please share your experiences! do you typically program the sequences yourself or buy them?
    TIA,
    shaun
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

well Im in a duo - two gutiarist/singers and use midi for drums and bass

seems to me if u got a 4 piece already u wouldnt need midi, but then it could make u sound even better. May be limiting though in the fact that u have to stick to the format of the midi

and what about a click track for the drummer, how would u do that when its on minidisc??

I program some sequences myself and get some off the net
  3. lefty42

lefty42 New Member

my experience with mini disc/click track is to use a mono backing track with the click on the other side .
    then a headphone amp panned hard to the click for the drummer
    i've sequenced 3 sydney bands like that
    they tell me it works pretty good
    hope this is of some use to someone
    lefty out
  4. jackmarshal

jackmarshal New Member

hi VOG
    for live MIDIS I use a Yamaha PSR 740 on top of an old Roland rd 300s The piano top is flat so the Yamaha sits right on top. The Yamaha has a floppy drive that plays my MIDIS. I pan the sounds I play live hard left through my keyboard amp out of one stereo out on the Yamaha. Al my MIDI tracks are panned hard right out the other audio out on the Yamaha going direct to the PA That way I get discreet signals. One to my amp and one to the mains.
    Finally I use a MIDI cable out to an Alesis DM-5 drum module driving a cowbell audio signal into a Galaxy self powered monitor (hot spot) on a stand next tthe drummer for the click track. This system work great even on loud stages.
  5. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

We use an 8track hard drive recorder .. so we can have full stereo seqs and a click track...

Also gives us some sync tracks for other devices..

I would like a unit that give 4 channels of audio and just 1 channel of midi .. anyone know anything that does this?.
  6. chasjules

chasjules New Member

I've been using sequenced music live since the mid 80's. Started out using an old Korg SQD-1 sequencer. Didn't take sysex messages, patch numbers were programmed in real time by pressing the relevant patch numbers on your keyboard, and tempo was done manually via a dial (speed changes during a song were never exact!!). Then progressed to a Roland MC-500 and used that for programming, whilst utilizing an MDF midi file reader. Today I'm still working live, but I now program with Cakewalk and use a Roland G-1000 keyboard, which has its own sequencer, midifile reader, and inbuilt SCSI Zipdrive.

If you want a hint, the best thing you need to know about using live sequencing, is that your songs MUST sound like a real live band. Too many times have the comparrison been made between live sequencing and Karaoke. Don't overdo the sequencing to recording studio quality. Peaple want to hear "real" sounds, which only come from sounding naturally.
  7. roblesb

roblesb New Member

We use a Korg Trinity to do the sequencing in our band, we donĀ“t have keyboard player, sometimes we download the midis and sometimes we make them, we pan to the right the music and to the left the click from the sequencer, the drummer uses headphones to follow the click because if you use a monitor the click goes to the mics on the drums.
  8. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Hi there

So far I have only been rehersing with bass/drums and light synth. I play lead, my mate does rhythm acoustic, and another bloke sings. Its gone ok so far, but the singer loses his place sometimes, and obviously the midi doesn't notice!

If you have musicians to do drums, guitar, bass and keyboard already, I agree with Voice of God. What more do you need? It might be easier to record your 'live' setup, and add any extra bits in realtime when you get back to your pc. I don't see what midi backing could do that your keyboard player couldn't add later?

Plus having a minimal 'live' sound means you avoid the "karaoke" pitfall Chasjules mentioned.
  9. Sheringham10

Sheringham10 New Member

I use Cakewalk home studio.. I convert all my recordings into wav, then import them to cakewalk.. convert the whole file into an mp3 file and burn it into a cd :)
  10. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

I use Sound Studio on my Mac to record all my midi files into wav files and then convert to high quality VBR mp3's using iTunes. Then I bring my laptop with me to gigs and use my iPod as a back-up.
  11. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Having been a keyboard player in a band before......I can honestly say that half the stuff that came from my keys was sequenced...I just didn't have enuf hands to play everything that need to be comming out the front of house all at one time....

It's not an uncommon Practice to see a drummer with a set if phones on playing to a click....and yes...Midi is very unforgiving to a singer that doesn't know where they are going in a song.

Dave
  12. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I've used midi in bands and now use it in my duo. I used to use a midi click that went straight to the drummer's monitor (a high hat sound so that if heard off stage, it wouldn't be too obvious) and the rest of the sequence went directly to the main board. I used pans to accomplish this.

As for playing with intense and fully fleshed sequences, it is a walking a razor's edge with karaoke. The groups I have played for don't mind fully orchestrated pieces if you an exceptional player yourself, and as long as you don't oversequence all your songs. For instance, I love having the horn sections and such when I perform "Smooth" by Santana, but I have meat and potatoes bass and drums when I do "Bad Moon Rising".

I think you just need to use a little common sense. It also depends on the tone of your sounds as well. You don't want the hokey horn sounds from a DX7. (I think I just dated myself there????). Just use common sense and realize the limitations of your equipment.