Why MIDI?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by danlibbo, Dec 16, 2002.

1. xlr8sd2

xlr8sd2 New Member

lyrics in MIDI

You can add a lyric track to midi files they come out as .kar files. it's basically karoake (sp?) As for adding speech to midis I used a program called "vocal writer" or something like that, on my old mac, it was pretty cool, but it's old and doesn't have many other features. Harmony Assistant has "virtual singer" and works in OSX, it's good because it also has many more features when it comes to songwriting. With a lot of tinkering, you can get it to sound like real speech, but it takes a lot tweaking. If you are really desperate, you can use a program like Cubase and add an audio track on top of a sequence with midi.
  2. dcd

dcd MB Tripper

Sure you can insert lyrics into a midi. If you have cakewalk, you insert the lyrics in the melody track. Type in the lyrics with the corresponding melody note.

Go to the help topics. It's pretty user-friendly. :)
  3. JokinPaha

JokinPaha New Member

I use midis for my midi-keyboad to practice playing
  4. sherpa_man

sherpa_man New Member

i use them to learn the guitar its easyer to follow
  5. microhof

microhof New Member

MIDI - small, can be recorded directly to file from MIDI keyboard, and can be edited with visual editors that translate it to actual notes on a staff.

you know, there were days when hard drives were about 20 MB....and MIDIs were the bomb
  6. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

well guys its like this: if you use midi a sequencer can give you a multi track recording session at the fraction of an audio multi tracks cost. the tracks are easyer to correct if you make a mistake instaed of having to do a whole take at once. not only this but one person can compose a full track by using just one instrument (usualy a keyboard) and lay down drums guitar bass strings etc so you dont have to be that good a musician to have excelent result you just need to learn your craft and be patient.

hope this answers the question
  7. blinkfastr

blinkfastr New Member

You can also insert lyrics into Finale. THere is a free version of Finale called Notepad available for download at codamusic.com. The Notepad Plus version for $24.95 may let you import midi files.
  8. Mirelia

Mirelia New Member

I use them in my keyboard too
  9. RejZ

RejZ New Member

First of all you can use them for karaoke, then cell phones, later learn to play guitar with them etc.
  10. gorbio

gorbio New Member

Midi is a language that most electronic musical instruments speaks and a midi file record these data and not actually the sound, giving the flexibility to edit better than audio signals do
  11. eschy12

eschy12 New Member

custom ringtones!
  12. neo.23

neo.23 New Member

A good friend of mine has a very cool soul-voice. Last summer we performed "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette and "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. Now we like to perform many songs in a little concert. This idea was a present to her b-day. Now I've to hear the notes of all these songs. But this takes a lot of time and you cannot bye all these sheet music. So one time I've got the idea with midi-files. And this idea was great. I save a lot of time with these files.
    That's my most important use with midi-files.
  13. texmex

texmex New Member

midi is nice if u have a good soundcard, which I don't,
    midi is good for karaoke =)
  14. waste

waste New Member

i use them 2 make better tabs, and I make instrumentals for rap songs, and its the best thing i could get my hands on (put them thru melody assistant and they sound VERY awesome)
  15. mramc3

mramc3 New Member

personally, i program them onto the phones I use, i use them for ringtones. Using a midi editor and he phone software.. they sound pretty great
  16. makusoto

makusoto New Member

you can put those midi files as ringtones for phones such as i90s and i95cl
  17. newj44

newj44 New Member

it saves a whole lot of space
  18. sidney

sidney New Member

It has been already stated midi files are for musicians. Unless you
    are using software with audio features such as cakewalk, or cubase the midi files are instrumental. So with these files you
    can change tempos, key changes add more music unless the capabilities are endless. I am not sure what you can do with mp3
    files. I know that there are great to listen to, and that it is a combination of vocal and audio in the digital realm.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2003
  19. pand3sal_boi

pand3sal_boi New Member

midi files are also perfect and very cool for mobile phones
  20. jessica

jessica New Member

i use midi'z 2 play music on my site