Win XP 2nd

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ey yi yi, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Anyone else who has XP having problems with it justr shutting down for no reason?
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

There are a few probable causes. One is a virus, another a CPU overheating issue. Do you have up-to-date virus protection?
  3. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Mine does it constantly!! Don't turn off error reporting and send the error report as it will tell you what is causing the error. In my case it's a driver. Only problem is it doesn't tell me what driver it is so I'm none the wiser!!
  4. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

It's nothing wrong with my computer. I've checked and had a computer friend (works on computers for a living) check it out too. Plus two of my friends have the same issue. It only does it once in a while. I was just wondering if theres a main reason why this happens in XP.
  5. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Are you sure it's not that nasty blaster worm? I beleve it reboots the computer.
  6. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Nope. The systems been checked and it's not only going on with mine. Several of my friends have the same problems. No viruses or worms. It doesn't really just shut down. It reboots all by itself. When your right in the middle of something that you haven't saved in over five minutes. (I know, I know, my fault entirely!)
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Do you get a screen that looks like this?

[​IMG]

Do you have SP2 installed? Its installation ruined a lot of people's computers, and Microsoft had to create a support department for members with issues about it. There are ways to prevent the automatic reboot, but not so easily the crash. At least with the crash there is a chance of recovery.

For now, do this to try to stop the automatic reboot:

• 1. Double-click on the System icon in the control panel.

2. Click the advanced tab.

3. Click the settings button in the Startup and Recovery box.

4. Untick automatically restart in the system failure box.

If you could post any error codes that come up, I would be able pinpoint your issue and help you further. Also, posting a HijackThis log would benefit this investigation.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  8. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Does it just shut down with no warning? Or do you get the message sayin windows will shut down in xx seconds?

Because if you get the message sayin windows will shut down in xx seconds, its more than lightly The DCOM Problem!! If this is it, post back and ill tell you how to disable DCOM and sort out the problem! ;)
  9. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Following what markb said here's an example of the dialog that you could see:

[​IMG]
  10. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

It's not that it shuts down. It just "reboots" out of nowhere. I am thinking that the instructions Zandro had worked. I haven't had any isses, but it didn't happen that often anyway. I'll have to wait and see if that fixed the problem.
  11. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Yup, dats it CyberCat!!

Hopefully it will hold up!, Good luck wit it!
  12. vbrio

vbrio Lavander Lassie Staff Member Moderator

i have windows xp home edition in my laptop and so far i haven't had the automatic shutdown thing happen for about 3 months now, though it does tend to hang sometimes and i don't know why
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  13. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

You can also consider using a Linux operating system, or get a Macintosh, as these operating systems seem more resistant to these kinds of problems. :D
  14. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Linux is great, but only if you can figure it out. O..o I spent a couple weeks with it and got as far as mounting my secondary hard drive to /dev/mnt/hd2 when I knew there was no chance to produce the SoundFonts the way I have always done previously. It just didn't have the built-in software it takes to splice 26 harps together without downloading and learning a completely new product. It wasn't worth the transition on the whole as I have no programming capabilities to start out with. Some bash that linux shouldn't be a way of life, yet a life's effort is collectively required to get the dang box to do what you would like it to!

As for the Mac, I wouldn't trade my years of Winx know-how for a slight of eye candy and suggestive stability just yet. I like understanding things, and am hesitant to traverse unnecessarily. It would require a purpose, and I don't think I'm missing out on anything here on ol' 98.4.10.2222A.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  15. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

It sounds like you really don't want to use an alternative operating system (even a better one) because you've been using what you have for a while and as such, have learned how to use it well. You would rather not use aother operating system because that would mean time spent learning how to use it. But to someone who already doesn't know anything about computers, might as well use an operating system that is less prone to the viruses as such that plage Windows, because most people (at least that I know) don't really care (or know) about the operating system, all they want is a computer that lets them check email and use the internet, perhaps even write a document, they just want something that works.
  16. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Yes, that is an excellent reasoning of my thoughts. It would take me a bit longer to work out a station for SoundFont design than one to do only the simple processes most are used to, since such office products are already prepared for immediate use. Hey, if you're a word processing e-mail checker, or a code-compiling kernel connoisseur, Linux is for you! :p Mid-range users, however, bewareee~. :laugh:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  17. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Well, one week and no restarting issues. Hopefully it continues with the trend.
  18. MarkB

MarkB New Member

I use Linux (RH 7.3)! Iv got 2 know my way around it pretty well! I admin a linux server in school too! The good ting about Linux is, if your just messin about, if someone walks in the room it always looks like your doin sometin big and complicated! :laugh:
  19. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Mark, have you ever tried Fedora?
  20. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I was trying to dabble with Linux but did not get to grips with it. Like Zandro I have Win98 SE on all my computers at home except the laptop which came with XP Home and I've installed SP1 but not SP2 as lots of people seem to be having problems. Do not use the laptop much except back up family tree files and take it when we go ancestor hunting. I find it difficult to navigate around the desktop on XP, whereas in 98 it is point and click, far easier.