Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by §ereña, Jul 21, 2002.

1. §ereña

§ereña **The Original Sin**

Just whether the mass out there like or dislike WIN XP and do u think it is a more stable operating system?
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

My personal (humble) opinion...
    I have tried it and did not like it. I found the 'fresh new look' to be insulting and vulgar (a joke), and while there are a few neat features Windows 2000 did not have, I gave it up and am sticking with Win2K.

That is a comparison between WinXP and Win2K... If you want to compare XP to ME, 98 (1s tor SE) or 95 - I would recommend XP over any MS-DOS based OS due to the stability alone.

Also, there is a ton of spyware coded directly into XP and many of its standard-issue programs. There is a great proggy called XP AntiSpy that removes the spyware and settings. I've attached it here... I would NEVER run XP without this.

Also - I wouldn't have too much faith in the firewall that comes standard with XP. If it will not raise a finger to stop the any of the spyware traffic, what else won't it raise a finger to stop? I would go with a 3rd-party firewall without any hidden agendas.

In short - quite a bit I didn't like about XP: the activation scheme, the spyware, the firewall, the revolting new look... But on the whole it is (IMHO) better than any MS-DOS OS... Linux still kicks all their *sses...
    Ok I'll shut up now ;)

Attached Files:

3. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Ah cool.. thanks man. I was trying to diable ms messenger. That program is stubborn.

I think the home edition of xp sucks. Luckely I have the pro version. :)

I used Win Blinds to modify my desktop to my liking. (and I match my computer) Take a look in the 'Post your Desktop' thread in chit chat.
  4. §ereña

thnx 4 ur opinion.....much appreciated :)
  5. MajBoothroyd

MajBoothroyd New Member

I've tried out a bunch of OS's. I'm on XP Pro and ME right now. ME is better in my opinion. It's much easier to find software, it actually COMES with an aspi manager (makes ripping CD's a reality). You don't have to undo all that funky reorganisation of things. The firewall is annoying, I just ended up putting in my same old one. XP is a little more stable, and it's a little faster, but there's a lot that you'd have to get used to that's kinda a nuisance. Most annoying of all, is that just like most NT's it won't save in anything smaller than 32kb chunks. If I remember that had something to do with stability and proper usage of clusters. So all those little text files with lyrics, all your saved or home made html files, instruction manuals, help files, data files, you name it... will all take up 32kb a piece, even if they're all only about 4kb in actual size. If I still had my NT5 (aka 2000 Pro) I'd probably have used that instead. Right now I'm stuck with XP Pro... heh, the supposed NT6... but it's too dummied.
  6. linkinparkkid

linkinparkkid New Member

I switched from 95 to XP last Christmas, so I'm probably one of the few impressed with XP. :)
  7. ParticleMan

ParticleMan New Member

I think WindowsXP is the best out of all the other Windows operating systems. It is easy to use, and very stable.
  8. theARTiSAN

i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight i will not pick a fight

I've personally had better luck with Win2K - I've had both on the same machine(s) and have had problems w/XP. If you have XP and love it, great! I'm glad it's working better for you than it did me.

A lot depends on the combinations of hardware and software you're running - it does make a difference.:thumbsup:
  9. §ereña

lol, looks like there's no fight yet!! :)
  10. mulop555

mulop555 New Member

i think i have had about most of the os even 3.1 and xp i think is the best but i still have to try the pro version and windows 2000
  11. §ereña

what about on a networking level?
  12. theARTiSAN

Windows 2000 family (pro, server or advanced server) networks like a dream...
    Did not bother to network XP, but have been told it is very good too.
    :thumbsup:
  13. §ereña

yeah, i quite like the WIN 2000 Family with networking. I tried XP today and spent over an hour and a half trying to get the OS to pick up the goddamned driver. Attractive as XP maybe:), sometimes i think that's all its good for........

:cool:
  14. theARTiSAN

HEY!!! YOU'RE A MIDI ADDICT TOO!!!

;)
    That, my dear, is what I said when I switched back to Win2K.

p.s. CONGRATS on the 'MIDI Addict' Title!:thumbsup:
  15. §ereña

yep, i am now officially a midi-holic!

yeah, once i hit 100 posts, my title changed

:thumbsup:
  16. spock127

spock127 New Member

I've tried Win98, WinME, Win95 etc., and Win98 has been pretty good and stable, but WinXP wins hands down - nice interface, easier to use, quicker than previous versions, stable and more features. I've got a dual boot with WinME, but I never need to use WinME as I've not had any major problems with WinXP.
  17. §ereña

hey, thnx for ur opinion spock127 !:cool:
  18. gio1421

gio1421 New Member

I enjoy xp. Even tho it isnt compatible with alot of things i think it is great. It has a great look to it too. Then again lol the only other system i have had was windows 98. lol
  19. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

I'm gonna contradict Most of you. My oppinion of XP is it is fan-flippin'-tastic. I have had every operating system exept 2000 & NT since windows 3.1 and XP is on the level with 3.11 for being the best. hereis my short reviwe of them all

WIN 3.1/3.11: Yeah! well-cool! one of the most stable operating systems there is. but it is slow, even on our old 586 system.

WIN95: Give me 95 any day. It sped up our 586 no-end. the 1st version was stable, relyable, fast, sharp on the net and it had a masterfull new look. more user friendly than 3.11

WIN98: You must be jokeing?!? this is the WORST OS there is. it is slow, the install took forever, even on our "new" 500Mhz Pc (it was new then) it is slow booting up, it is un-stable by that I mean it freezes every 5 minuets, it was slow on the net and "windows update" didn't damn well work!!

WIN ME (Millenium eddition): Ahh! this came on the PC that was all mine! I'll be truthfull, I bought an eMachines PC so i got a pre-relise version of Millenium eddition on the origonal restore CD but even on the old 566Mhz processor in this computer it booted up in 4 seconds, ran the net faster than ever before, windows up-date actually worked, allthough I had to disable automatic up-date cuase it was a pain in the A**E but stable, allthough not to be run on packard-bell computers.

Win XP (eXPerience for those who don't know) Yes! Yes! Yes! I have waited for what seems like forever for an OS that matches 3.11/95's stability with ME'S "system restore" something that ran the net faster still and had windows up-date! This is it! The install only took 25 min on my 1.8Ghz (yeah, I up-graded considerably since I bought this eMachine but i still say eMachines rule!) It boots up fast, It runs the net like a bullet, it hardly ever crashes and the new "start" bar is soo cool!!!! But if you get XP YOU MUST go to www.windowsupdate.com IMMEDIATLY you get your internet connection up-and-running on it. unless you get it bang-up-to-date it won't function with some of your older USB hardware.

That is my honest oppinion of all operating systems, exept for one, I have an Apple iMac lap-top, commonly knowen as an iBook with mac OS X on it, OS X is the best non-windows OS to get.
  20. §ereña

wow, that was really thorough.

Strike one for Microsoft :):):)