Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by §ereña, Jul 21, 2002.

1. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

yeah, to me the word "quick" or "short" don 't exist! lol, but if any one else has any question about any of my listed OS'S (Exept OS X, i only just got that) then Post it on this board or PM me
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

advancedflea - what is take on a comparison between Linux (say... Mandrake or SuSe distibutions) and OS X?
    I've used Linux quite a bit and love it - how the the stability, security and user-friendliness/ease-of-use compare?

I love Linux, but will be the first to admit that there is a steep learning curve.
    ;)
  3. advancedflea

To be brutally honest with you, they had Linux on our school computers at one point, and I hated it. It was about as stable as a house built on jelly and you'd have better security WITHOUT Linux's built-in firewalls. if anyone reads this then gets linux, I will hit you.
  4. §ereña

§ereña **The Original Sin**

*lol* that's putting it bluntly. Wow, i've never heard any1 say linux was unstable........:):):)
  5. advancedflea

Yeah, Allong with windows 98, Linux Is terrible for stability, not to mention user-friendlyness. my advice is either stick with 95 or get XP if you want a high-powerd system. or for non-windows PC'S get an iMac with OSX
  6. theARTiSAN

???
    I've never heard that before either... I've used Linux Slackware, SuSe, Redhat and Mandrake (all being fairly recent versions mind you) and have found the stability to be better than any version of Windows (NT or not).
    What distributions(s) of Linux were you talking about?
  7. advancedflea

Not a clue! lol. I just used it on the schools computers, that is all i know! lol.

Oh, BTW, anyone reading this who has herd the rumor that XP wipes out your hard drive after useing norton anti-virus 2002/norton systemworks 2002 it is totaly UN-TRUE. I have had windows XP since x-mas and norton system works 2002 since october and it hasn't had a problem, Infact Norton systemworks helps my PC run faster (I have 1.8 Ghz and sometimes it does slow down) than ever! so by all means keep your Norton programs, and keep them up-to-date, especially Norton Anti-virus
  8. andyw99

andyw99 New Member

my part

open source is the future. when windows finishes its ride from 95 to 98f to 98s to Mellinium to god knows what, an open source os's will be the future. i dont believe anyone can do a fare comparison on windows operating systems without getting hands on experience with windows 2000.

As far as personal computing and daily life computer use windows 2000 is by far the best and most stable operating system. I will be the first to say that Windows Mellinium is the worst ever to leave microsofts doors. Memory management in windows mellinium is poor, almost scary poor.

XP may run fine for those who have it pre-loaded on a machine built to run windows xp. However I would never suggest anyone install xp onto a system not fully specked out for it.

Thats just my opinioin I could be wrong.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2002
  9. theARTiSAN

WORD!
    andyw99 - I could not have said it better!
  10. advancedflea

Andy, I'm gonna be blunt as I can with you. When I bought this computer, it had a sticker on that said "designed for windows 98" allthought it cam pre-loaded with a pre-relise version of Millenium Eddition, and that worked.

2 yrs after (christmas 2001) I had up-graded it to a 966Mhz Processor (1.8 now) 60GB HDD and 384MB of RAM. not quite what people would call enough to run XP, but Ignoreing what people said about it, I bought XP and put it in, it worked straight off and I have never had to re-load my system since that day. I will admitt, I up-graded to a 1.8Ghz 2 months ago and that strapped a rocket to the computers back. but my point is, XP worked on my Pentium III 966 (Believe it or not I have a Celeron in it now, Celeron soket 370 motherboards are, in effect, "future proof") I'm not argueing with what you are saying, that XP may not work out aswell for some people as it did for me (one person I know, put it on his 400Mhz pc...Idiotic or what?!?!) but it does work. people just gotta remeber to do a windows Update every month or so. :)
  11. §ereña

§ereña **The Original Sin**

hmmmm......so, do u think i should run XP on my Pentium 2 233mHz, 2.99GB HDD, 64MB RAM??
    *lol* j/k
    :):):)
  12. advancedflea

Lol. Serena, I think u need to upgrade you SYSTEM let alone your windows! :p :)
  13. theARTiSAN

Nevermind all that §ereña...
    You got THE GLOW!
    :thumbsup:
  14. advancedflea

artisan...huh?
  15. theARTiSAN

J/K
    I was saying that now that she has "the glow" (around her username) nothing else matters... No need to upgrade
    ;)
    Only kidding of course
  16. advancedflea

Oh I noticed that. how do u get the glows? I can't find how to get them (to quote...)"wah titty!!!"
  17. theARTiSAN

18. birds_r_2_cool

birds_r_2_cool New Member

Where do u find the midi input driver for windows xp
  19. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

IMHO
    3.11: is very stable
    9x (95, 98, ME) hmm the worst operating systems ever even though 95 was very radical back then. Stablity kept getting worse and worse.
    NT (NT4, 2000, XP) very stable operating systems XP seems to have more problems than the other 2.

I've changed the way I've put them, seems more clear now.
    Well some of the operating systems listed here, I've never used or used for a short period of time. One can find articles about operating systems in magazines or online like on cnet.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2002
  20. advancedflea

Ok, right,

Artisian - Thanks. and "Wah tity" was something you actually said to me in another thread! :p

Birds_r_2_cool - you find the midi input driver from the company that manufacture your sound card (something like creative or someone like that)

king - 95 was a good O/S and still is. allthough you were right about 98, but my pre-relise version od ME was good. And XP is very good if you KEEP IT UP-TO-DATE