Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by §ereña, Jul 21, 2002.

1. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

well, thats ur oppinion. mine is i really dont like linux
  2. bobbisox

bobbisox New Member

While XP does have some nice features, it really is a pain trying to get a lot of the "older" software to work on it. It seems like microsoft just wants you to keep spending. (DUH!)

As far as stability...

A lot of people say it's so much more stable. Well, it hasn't been for me. If, by any chance, something happens and you have to shut down, NEVER, and I mean NEVER hit the power button. You need to go through the "proper" shut down routine. If you're computer is frozen, and hitting the power button is your only option, pray while doing so. Everytime this has happened to me, I would get an error message that windows had not shut down properly. It then gave me the option of starting normally. It didn't work. I have had to re-install my XP 3 times now.
  3. advancedflea

That aint a windows XP problem. that is a problem with your computer. perhpas your hard drive is PHYSICALLY damaged? (On the actual disk that is, not the shell) because when my computer freezes, all I do it press and hold the power button untill it turns off, wait a few seconds then re-boot. it does a scan disk and them comes back on fine.

when it comes up with that erro screen, just go to "last known working configureation" you may lose a few drivers, but it doesnt hurt to try it
  4. bobbisox

bobbisox New Member

Been there, done that, didn’t work. This is a new computer. The first day I had it, it did this. It’s done it a few times since then.
  5. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

You're free to have that opinion - but IF I remember correctly, you had said that your experience with Linux was limited to a few Boxes loaded with it at your college, and you weren't even sure what distribution you had tried...

I would honestly advise that you pick a distribution (RedHat or Mandrake are good to start with) give it a fair shake before damning it to hell :D
    It is a great OS (IMHO). Yes - a steeper learning curve than Win??.XX, but once you grasp Linux, you will have a more profound understanding of how a Box or OS truely works.
    It is the OS that drives the internet we all know and love. That should say something in itself ;)
  6. advancedflea

I was actually going to try it when I went back to collegeg on monday after the summer holidays. but they have been in and changed "tundra" (the Main-frame) over from linux to NT, decided they didnt like NT and are now up-gradeing to windows 2000
  7. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Ah :D
    My favorite Win version (2k)...

Opinions are like Midis - everyone has 'em and some of them suck.
    Just sharing from my humble experience. I still use Windows (in a dual boot config. with Mandrake Linux) - but believe me when I say that the day I find the perfect Linux Studio/Audio proggys to replace the ones I use now, I will say bye bye to Windows entirely.

Linux is freely (legally) downloadable from countless FTP servers and sites all over the net, and with it's open-source nature, it has been (and will continue to be) improving by the hour. As soon as they (collective Linux Distributors/programmers) start concentrating fully on ease-of-use and new user friendliness - It may become the popular flavor of pre-loaded Boxes from IBM, etc.
  8. advancedflea

yeah, what gets even b etter is he college are tryng to un the NT servers and the 2000 servers down the same set of cables. i.e 2 networks down 1 cable, which is slow. or "interresingly paced!" lol
  9. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

Win2k is such a good OS.
    WinXP is too. I love both.
    I've never felt the way about OSs since 95.

And for Artisan's fave OS Linux. It's not for me, not enough programs and games to keep me happy, plus which developer don't wanna ride on MS's monopoly of the PC market.
  10. advancedflea

well, XP was actually built on the shoulders of NT & 2000. but if you listen to what the ICT lecturer @ city of wolverhampton college says, NT is 8ollok$
  11. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

i liked NT 3.51....then 4 (except service pack 4...now there's a headache!!!)

has it's uses..but as microsoft got bigger...they got more complacent about software security......but that's a whole other thread....don't get me started

Dave
  12. advancedflea

yeah, my friend "harrison" knows how to get past the windows XP product activation
  13. §ereña

§ereña **The Original Sin**

hmmmm, now that a friend to have! ;););)
  14. stealthbynature

stealthbynature New Member

true.............
  15. advancedflea

yep :> even though my windows xp is genuine
  16. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I've networked XP Pro and it worked fine :)
  17. advancedflea

yeah, win xp is desigend for networking in some way shape or form
  18. kabong

kabong New Member

WinXP is the best choice for home users and small companies, IMO. Linux works best for server administration and is (just a little bit) more stable than WinXP. However, compared to earlier Win9X Versionx, XP is a giant improvement.
  19. advancedflea

Yeah, I use windows XP at home. its by far the best that has been released since windows 3.11. Win 3.11 was pretty decent. We never had any problems with it apart from a blue-screen onece every 6 months
  20. hockeyman200

hockeyman200 New Member

at first i didnt like it but now its the easiest operating system for me to use