Wish Motherboard (CPU) schould I Get

Discussion in 'Computers' started by zeroblaze, Feb 9, 2003.

1. zeroblaze

zeroblaze New Member

Iám looking for a new board and CPU to upgrade my computer but what's good and what isn't:confused2
  2. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

uh it depends on your budget and what you plan to do with it
    say if you play games then you might want one that is great with games but if you just want to surf the web etc then you don't need a expensive machine.
  3. Arcuivie

Arcuivie Guest

You should also look at the socketts and make sure your processor would fit. Also, all computers need good motherboards, even ones that just surf the net, but motherboards arn't expensive at all (bout 100-200 dollars).
  4. wushuboi

wushuboi New Member

amd is good performance/value ratio. i suggest an xp chip with nforce 2 mobo and 2 sticks of ram.
  5. Davis

Davis New Member

AMD XP 1700+ + Abit NF7-SATA
  6. millsusaf

millsusaf New Member

asus, and athlon
  7. millsusaf

millsusaf New Member

2200+ and the newest asus mobo
  8. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Get an Athlon! My old Mother Board just crashed and how I have an Athlon its really, really fast!

Love it! :thumpbsup:
  9. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

actually having owning a athlon for the past 3 years I'm thinking Intel would be a better choice. The things I keep open task my cpu and ram to the limit. Even right now my cpu is running from 20-50% usage. Ram usage is over 50% of 512.

My new system is going to run the new Intel 2.4C or 2.6C processors with the 875 series chipset on a Soyo Motherboard with 2 Crucial 512MB DDR 2700 @ 2.5 CL. Graphics card will be the new Geforce FX 5900. I am keeping my existing hdds. Power supply would be upgraded from 300 Watt to 450 Watt.
  10. damicatz

damicatz New Member

If you are getting an AMD you might want to wait until the Athlon 64 comes out, so that even if you don't want to get an Athlon 64, the prices of the current Athlon XPs will come down some.
  11. fuzzy

fuzzy New Member

Aye, that'll do you just fine.
  12. DEViANT

DEViANT New Member

Get one of the new Intel 875 (with PAT function) chipset based boards. They are in the premium price sector but have some excellent features such as SATA, USB2, (usually) Firewire out of the box too and also DDR400 dual-channel support which makes the whole system blindingly fast.

Couple it with a new Intel 800Mhz FSB core CPU and you will be sorted (usually has the letter C after the clock speed). It also supports Hyperthreading which will be great for multitasking. Couple it with less heat generation than the Althon and you are sorted.

The new 3Ghz (800FSB) CPU (3.2 is out now) beats the Athlon XP 3200+ anyway by quite a margin due to the enhanced memory and system bandwidth. Though the best value is probably the 2.8Ghz (as its £110 cheaper than the 3.0Ghz) and still beats most if not all of the Athlons.
  13. TEK_38

TEK_38 New Member

Asus!

Asus!
  14. jayrXP

jayrXP New Member

i prefer an intel system. amd fans(and most hsf upgrades) are louder than those of intel's. burned my axp2100+ because of a malfunctioning fan. oh well, i guess an intel would burn too if it has no hsf.
  15. meavyman

meavyman New Member

I like Gigabyte motherboards. They are intel based, and work very well
  16. EboLedder

EboLedder New Member

For those on a strict budget, Biostar offers some fine boards. But my best experiences have been with Asus boards running Pentium processors.
  17. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

tests have shown that athlons will burn when the hsf is taken off or malfuctioned. P4s will slow down or just crash with no harm to the cpu and motherboard but there's still a chance that the cpu could burn.

HSF are essiential in today's computers. If anyone has noticed CPU temperatures is extremely high nowadays. Mine is running 100-110 deg F on aftermarket hsf. On a stock fan 140 deg F isn't uncommon.
  18. jasyn

jasyn New Member

For a Gamer I really suggest you with with the DFI NFII Ultra. The only downside is it doesn't have the 4 mounting holes for some heatsinks .. but thats ok .. great performance out of it!

Cpu .. always AMD :cool:
  19. ROCKSURLY

ROCKSURLY New Member

Gigabyte makes excellent motherboards, as does ASUS.
  20. ermines

ermines New Member

go for the dual processor.......i only now of gigabyte having this.....