XG/GM Reset info...save with midis?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by bnjiman80, Dec 6, 2003.

1. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Hi all

I'm going to start gigging soon and I want to put in XG resets in front of all my midis on my QY100. I'm worried that some songs might change different parameters, affecting the way the next song comes out.

I have a sys-ex string in a "dummy" mid (i.e. no notes) to do a reset, but I don't know how to save it onto my other midi files.

Do these resets sit on a certain track like other midi events?

Any ideas! Thanks alot, Ben
  2. savinallmylu

savinallmylu New Member

if it doesnt' do it at home why woudl it do it live? I'd just try it out at home.
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Yes, bnjioman80.

You can send the sysex on any track - just be aware that there is a subsequent delay in the device to execute the command - approximately 50ms.

The sysex is
    Code:
    f0 43 10 4c 00 00 7e 00 f7
    for my S-YXG50.

Here's a quote from the XG spec:

You could also send a GM reset:

Code:
    f0 7e 7f 09 01 f7
    I think it requires a 250ms delay to take effect. You should send this one first if you do both.

More from the spec:

You can take a look at this dummy XG file to see an example of this. (It was created by Yamaha as an example of how to initialize a device.

Xg_temp2.mid
  4. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

I have been using my laptop to play the midis through a sequencer on the pc i.e. transmitting events to the box. When things have gone weird, I have used the function on the sequencer "send GM reset" or "Send XG reset" to re-set the box via the serial connector before playing the song again. However, I'm now using the box's own sequencer, and I wouldn't want to stop between songs to ask it to perform a reset!

ZelRiptha...thanks alot. I will try to copy the GM reset code you have supplied, and the XG reset I have, onto a track and insert them at the beginning of my performance midis. :D