XG or Roland

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by badjuju, Nov 18, 2002.

1. badjuju

badjuju New Member

Well? Whats better, folks? Strong opinions on each side -- lets stir the pot! ^__^!
    Me? *cough*XG*cough*

~Juju
  2. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

Well my sequencer is a Roland, but I was unaware of any competition with XG or whatever.

Can someone please explain why XG is better.
  4. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

In fact, there is no "better" protocol. XG and GS are much alike. They both extend the GM protocol, which is no more then a set of midi instructions that are common to all compatible sound sources.

At the end, it's the quality of your sound source (and the samples they use) that will determine the quality of playback, and this has nothing to do with a midi protocol.

However, micro$oft and some soundcard manufacturers are using the Roland Sound Canvas soundset, and I'm pretty sure they will folow the GS protocol in no time. Some GM devices already have some GS features, like the recognition of cc91 =reverb and cc93 =chorus (and now also included in the GM level 2 specs).

So if you would like to make midifiles for websites, or compatible with most soundcards, I would bet on GS. But hey, if you have a XG-module, use the XG protocol.
  5. lukasmajukas

lukasmajukas New Member

Yep I agree, GS and XG are not even worthy of a quality argument. It's the hardware at the end of your cables that matters. Even the crappest file player can sound awesome if you have a good Roland module at the other end and a decent sequence. Experiment with Hardware!!