yamaha Qy 300 problems getting formatted midi files from pc

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Rachel69, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Rachel69

Rachel69 New Member

Hi, I have a Qy300 yamaha Sequencer which I have mastered in creating files, but when I download a midi file off the net and try to put on floppy disc, I am told that the format is incompatible. Its very frustrating as I am a professional performer and my poor audience is getting very bored with the same 600 odd songs that they are hearing over and over again. Can someone please help me as I am rather new to using a pc and the internet... Thankyou
  2. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

tough one!

Hi Rachel

I kinda feel I might be able to help, as I had the same problem with the QY100 box I'm using.

I took 5mins looking on the 'web, but couldn't find any product reviews of your hardware...it was made in '94 though so its not surprising I guess.

You need to find out what level of midi files your hardware supports. To my puny knowledge, you have

midi type 0
    midi type 1 (includes track header information, or something)
    xg midi (includes special commands that non-xg hardware won't like)
    roland midi? don't know but I'm guessing
    ...others :p

1. I guess that most midis on the 'net are probably type 1. Assuming your gear supports type 1, then it might be unhappy because some midi files contain system-exclusive (sys-ex) code that it can't "play". Example: my box might have a certain code to add some effect after a note, that your box wouldn't understand (and vice-versa). ("XG" includes a whole load of extra voices too, which don't work on non-XG devices)

Now, if you have some software on your pc, you should be able to load up these midis and delete the crap. If you use a particular midi sequencer, go to their website or post a question here to find out how to do this. (The program I use, Powertraxs, lets you "cut" all the events from a song, and only "paste" back the ones you know will work: certainly notes; maybe pitch bends, program changes, control changes, and other stuff...i think control changes are most likely to cause you grief.)

There are a couple of other things that might cause you problems too. Some midis from the net have more than sixteen tracks...so erasing tracks 17 to whatever could sort you out. Also today I had a file that was so long (9mins) and complex that there were too many events to convert I think! Although I have never come across this before.

Anyway, this fiddling about leaves you with a new simplified midi that will hopefully load on your hardware and you can then add your own voices/effects once you have the notes in there.

2. If you find that you can only load type 0 midis, repeat the process above, and save the file as "type 0" using your sequencer. Alternately, you can get a program to convert midis to type 0 without a sequencer (search on google for mdi convertor or something). However, this might still leave in alien code; I don't know if it filters it out! :p

To find out what your midi type your hardware supports you need to have a look in the manual.

Best of luck! If you find the manual and you're still stuck, send me a link. I don' t mind trying to fix a couple of files for you 'cos it should be quick on powertrax!

Cheers, Ben

p.s. 600 songs!? My neighbours put up with me playing the same twenty every day!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  3. Rachel69

Rachel69 New Member

Hi Benjamin,
    Rachel here, a while ago you tried to help me out with my QY 300yamaha seq problem and as it turned out, after buying the program, it still wouldnt work. But all I had to do ( and this took me one whole year to work out) was use a DD floppy disc instead of a HD disc!!

I just had to let you know as now I am a very happy person.
    By the way, I counted all my songs and I only have about 250 not 500 as I so exagerated.... But now I will have 600 and more!!Yeah!!! Anyway thanking you for your reply
    Rachel..
  4. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Hi Rachel

Sorry if you bought a program that didn't help, Still good to hear all is going well!

I bet those new songs knock 'em dead! Our band rehersals are going well, and we hope to gig within a oouple of months.

Hope to speak to you later
    Kudos,
    Ben
  5. ozsurvivor

ozsurvivor New Member

Qy 300

Could anyone help me with a copy of the 'data disk' for the Yamaha QY 300 sequencer!!??

Thanks in advance !!!
  6. HotSaxSauce

HotSaxSauce New Member

I took need a copy of style and demo disc...someone please help.
  7. djgen

djgen New Member

Help! I've lost all my data to the Yamaha Qy 300 and don't know how to reset everything up. Could someone give me a step-by-step tutorial on how to revive my machine. any help would be appreciated.

-G
  8. AliRaza08

AliRaza08 New Member

I am a professional performer and my poor audience is getting very bored with the same 600 odd songs that they are hearing over and over again. Can someone please help me as I am rather new to using a pc and the internet... Thankyou

Kashmiri Butt