Yamaha QY300 Music Sequencer

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by SputnikBoy, Jun 23, 2005.

1. SputnikBoy

SputnikBoy New Member

Hi

I'm new to the forum and kinda dense in regard to procedure. Do we have anyone on the board who is knowledgable with regard to the Yamaha QY300 Music Sequencer? I have a question or two that someone may be able to answer. For instance, just lately I've been trying to save data to floppy disc (2DD) and only get a 'bad disc' or 'illegal file' display. Occasionally I can get into the 'load' facility with one or two floppies (most it won't even allow me to do that) but it won't save the data.

Surely ALL of my floppies can't be corrupt. When I insert the floppy and activate the 'load' or 'save' mode I get a slight 'whirring' sound from the QY300 mostly. Not ALL the time though with every floppy ...???? Frustrating! A similar thing occurred a couple of weeks ago and the problem seemed to right itself for the most part. Today, however, just about EVERY floppy seems to be affected. I have this song I want to download to floppy but I can't. What could be the problem?

Could I 'factory set' the QY300 without deleting the preset patterns or the particular piece of music that I want to save? If so, how? I'm not sure that I have the preset patterns on floppy so I'd sooner avoid deleting them if possible. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me..
  2. yamiefan

yamiefan New Member

Do you have the manual? If no, email me. I can scan mine for you.
  3. rome

rome New Member

qy300 disk reading

My qy300 does the same thing, what works sometimes is taking the disk out trying it again, going back to the load/save menu, trying it again, holding your finger on the disk while it loads, pressing in the eject a little bit, just keep trying eventually it will probably read the disk. I know it's a pain but it seems to work more often than not.
  4. SputnikBoy

SputnikBoy New Member

Sputnikboy: Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for the kind offer but, yes, I do have the manual for the QY300.

By now I've taken the sequencer to the only person in my town who has any knowledge on repairs to the unit. He told me that it required a new disc-drive. So, he ordered one in for me and installed it. NOT cheap! The bad news is that the new disc-drive doesn't seem to have made any improvement to the original 'unworking' condition of the QY300. He now feels that the problem lies somewhere on the circuit board and the last I heard (three weeks ago) was that he was going to try and run down the problem with some diagnostic tests.

So, I'm assuming that 'no news' means that he hasn't been able to locate the problem yet. Thanks for your interest.
  5. SputnikBoy

SputnikBoy New Member

Sputnik: Thanks for your response. Please refer to my above post to yamiefan.
  6. wlwalkjr

wlwalkjr New Member

Qy-300

I have got a problem with my QY-300. I seemed to have lost all the memory and was wondering, is there anybody out there that might know where I can find a original diskette with the patterns and styles to reload the QY-300 back up??? I use this machine in my in home studio, and at this time my studio is down until I can get the patterns and styles back!!!!!!!! Can someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. JamestheSax

JamestheSax New Member

I don't have the manual to hand, but I do have another Yamaha sequencer with a Total Reset function - you switch it off, then hold down three specific keys and switch on, so INIT appears on the display. Maybe somwone with a manual can advise if it's in there?
  8. milorad

milorad New Member

To SputnikBoy

On 2HD Disckettes you got hole on the right side. you must cover it with selfstick paper or something else. so when you do that just format disckette on your QY300 and everything will be OK.

I'M new too on this forum and I'm looking for original patterns for QY300 especially pop and rock patterns. If someone can help
    email: milorad.savoski@gmail.com
  9. JamestheSax

JamestheSax New Member

Well, I can now answer my own post as I found the manual. There is no reset function in the manual, so you need to get hold of the installation disk. I bought mine ex-display and didn't get the disk.

wlwalkjr - did you get any help with the installation disk?
  10. tonygregoryh

tonygregoryh New Member

try formatting disc
  11. susanybs

susanybs New Member

can you scan the manual for me?

I need a manual very much!can you help me?
  12. coyote55

coyote55 New Member

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum but I have owned a QY-300 for about 12 years.
    As far as the 2HD disks go, you can use them if you tape over the open hole in the corner and format them with the QY-300. DD disks are virtually impossible to buy here (in Australia) Recently my QY-300 has been making the whiring noise and saying 'No Disk' when I try to load a song. The problem is the belt drive in the 'A' drive. I removed mine, took the cover from it and smeared the littlest bit of honey on the belt so it would grip. The proper thing would be to replace of have the belt replaced.
    If you QY-300 'Locks up' ( won't do anything because it appears frozen) there is a proceedure you have to follow to fix this problem. Before you start make sure you have Yamaha QY-300 Demonstration Disk. This is needed to reload all your patterns and styles etc.
    1: Turn QY 300 off. 2: Press and hold - Song/Phrase/Dick buttons.
    3: Turn QY 300 on ( Screen shows 'Test'.) 4: Press F3. 5:Insert Demo Disk and load.

I hope this fixes some of your problems. As far as I know Yamaha themselves don't know this method.

Cheers
    Ken
  13. WE1WE2WE3WE3

WE1WE2WE3WE3 New Member

Need qy-300 data and demo disks, please.....

I have lost my data and demo disk from my qy-300, I dont know if anybody could send me an e-mail with this data, I really will appreciate so much.
    Thanks a lot
  14. julpocho

julpocho New Member

hello there

How are you going, im in australia as well and cant find my original qy300 Demo Disk. Can I have a copy from you? thanks a lot
    julian:)

Marty White likes this.
  15. johann-j

johann-j New Member

RE QY 300maha sequencers

Hi I am new to this as well but had to put a line or two in regarding the QY300.
    I have two of them and find it hard to reason why Yamaha does not take notice of the fact that these are very popular units.
    I have found that as long as the disc is formatted in the QY they usually work fine. The manual for those looking, is downloadable at quite a few web pages
    as a PDF file, I do have my manual but do not have the demo disc and would be quite happy to pay for a copy along with postage etc.
    Most important is keep the disc drive clean they are like hens teeth to buy or find.
    If any one can assist with the demo disc my e-mail is johann-j@westnet.com.au and I would be most pleased to hear from you.
    all the best
    Johann( quoate)
  16. johann-j

johann-j New Member

Re disc,s for QY300

Hi I am new to this buddy board so if I get it wrong I hope someone lets me know?
    The QY 300 will only take discs that have been pre formatted in the unit its self, and usually, only come up as failed if the disc is really bad, a quick way of testing if you have it right is to try and open it on your computer after its formatted, it usually come up not formatted on a PC in which case it will now work in the QY, Most important keep your drive clean as to replace one will cost the earth that is if you can find one!!
    I have two of these units but do not have the demo disc with all the other stuff on it and am trying hard to find one as Yamaha do not have one in their archives even so if anyone can do me a copy I am happy to pay plus postage my E-mail is johann-j@westnet.com.au and would be pleased to hear from you
    Hope the above helps
    all the best
    johann ( quote)
  17. johann-j

johann-j New Member

info for QY 300

Hi
    I hope this helps, you can download the whole manual for this unit on quite a few web pages, as for the discs even Yamaha don't have these in their archives which is not very good for Yamaha, in actual fact it seems that they have very little for any of their sequencers, I have two QY300 and a QY100
    which needs smartcard (Like hens teeth to get)
    So if you find the discs perhaps you could send me a copy my e-mail is johann-j@westnet.com.au and I would be very pleased to hear from you.
    mean while if I come up with the discs I will let you know.
    I have found that the QY 300 is a very good bit of gear and understand that they hold their price very well even today!!
    all the best
    Johann( quote)
  18. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

thanks for posting the tip Johann!
  19. mark453

mark453 New Member

Hi all, I have been researching a fix to the seemingly very comon fault on the qy 300 which has also caused mine to recognising data discs that are perfectly fine. Ive even replaced the entire hard drive with US supplied floppy drive but the problem persists and I am running out of sensible ideas.
    For those who may still need the original demo disc files, I have one and will be happy to copy it and send it to you via zip and e mail. The posts on here are quite old but if you still need it e mail me. If by chance anyone had found the answer to the disc reading fault please let me know.
  20. mark453

mark453 New Member

Hi all, I have been researching a fix to the seemingly very comon fault on the qy 300 which has also caused mine to stop recognising data discs that are perfectly fine. Ive even replaced the entire hard drive with US supplied floppy drive but the problem persists and I am running out of sensible ideas.
    For those who may still need the original demo disc files, I have one and will be happy to copy it and send it to you via zip and e mail. The posts on here are quite old but if you still need it e mail me. If by chance anyone had found the answer to the disc reading fault please let me know.