Yamaha Wind Controller

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by erinshore, Jan 13, 2004.

1. erinshore

erinshore New Member

Has anyone tried out the Yamaha Wind Controller? I would like to hear what people think of the sounds on the supplied sound module. Is it any use in conjunction with other sound modules as I currently have a Yamaha MU50 XG sound module also.
  2. Doddi

Doddi New Member

yes of course :boink:
  3. yoda

yoda New Member

i would also like some info on this and do you have to be an experiensed playetr to get results?
  4. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Which wind controller are you talking about. There's three different Yamaha wind controllers. I've tried one of them and didn't like the tone generator with it. BUT..... If you midi it through your MU50 it would probably rock. I think it was a WX9 wind controller.

If it was up to me right now, I'd get a WX5. It is the latest from Yamaha, and it comes with a midi out directly from the instrument itself. By the way, I use a MU90R. I could use the first 16 channels for my midifiles, and the other 16 for any midi capable device. Check the new Yamaha tone generators out. You'll be impressed.
  5. S1an1de

S1an1de New Member

i used a WX7 live for some time, the supllied tone generator was "crap" but once midi'd up it worked well. It does however generate alot of midi data which can cause problems on thru'd devices but on the whole it was nice. Biggest problem i had was finding the right sort of sounds for it. Being a bit of a purist, using it for for sax's and flutes was a no no as i could just grab the real thing and play that instead (anyone else noticed how synth/sampled sax's sound like strangled cats?), but having a syth lead type sound assigned to it and it rocked, plus the sound only has to be a monophonic anyways. The fingering is as per a sax...so if you can get a tune out of one of them you should be fine.

Makes hell of a spectacle when used for a big solo in bowies space Oddity using a stylophone sound :)
  6. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I actually understood it could be configured as a sax or clarinet or flute. Any which way, you really should line it into a different tone generator or sound module to get a good sound.
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

No personal practical experience (I don't play horn) but I used to work with someone who played one of these things - a long time ago - and her take was pretty much the same as S1an1de's.

A bit pointless if you can play the real thing, but a wow when used to augment all the other sounds in the band. What with her EWI and my midi guitar, even the other guys in the band used to get confused as to who was actually playing what.

Sometimes, so did I :) .
  8. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Yeah it's pretty wild. I got the Roland GR-1 when it first came out. It really blew people away with the piano and brass combo's I created. It's pretty remarkable. Tried a WX9 and didn't get sold on it. Will have to keep an open mind next time I work on it. (And try it with a decent sound module).
  9. S1an1de

S1an1de New Member

if its looks...the Akai EWi has to win...the yam looks like a black stick compared to it